Friday, March 11, 2011

Easy Candy Melt Transfers

Candy melt transfers makes decorating cakes and cupcakes fast & easy.  If you can melt chocolate and have a steady hand these are easy to make and can even be made ahead of time.

Step 1:  Buy supplies:
-Candy Melts come in all different colors just find the ones you want
-Disposable Decorating Bags sure you could use a Ziploc bag if you wanted but I like these better because they are thicker and easier to handle
-A Design you could get it from a coloring book or print it off the Internet
-Wax paper
-Flat surface that can be moved around (I like to use a cutting board)

Step 2:  Tape your design on the cutting board then tape a piece of wax paper over the design.

Step 3:  Fill the Decorating Bags with the candy melts then microwave your first color according to the directions on the candy melts.  Only microwave one color at a time.  Your first color will usually be the color you are outlining with.  In this case I will microwave the chocolate color first and the white one after I have finished all the chocolate designs.  Make sure all the candy is melted so there is no lumps otherwise it may clog up the end when you are squeezing it out.
Step 4:  Barely clip the end off the bag.  When doing the outline it's important to have a very small opening so you can get a good outline on your design.  Then start tracing your design. When you are done it should look like this.  You can put it in the fridge at this point if you are in a hurry.  You want the outline to be hard before you go on to the next step.


Step 5: Melt the next color you are going to use.  For this design I am just doing black and white so I will melt the white next making sure all the candy is melted before you start.  You can cut the tip a little bigger than last time but not much you still don't want it too big.  Then just flood the color over where you want it to be.  In this example I wanted it all white so I just flooded over all parts inside each outline.  If you go a little out of the outline don't worry.  Just wait for it to dry and snap it or cut it off.  After you do the next color it should look like the ones on the left.  Then after you let it cool off and get hard (put it in the fridge again if in a hurry) you will be able to flip them over and it will look like the ones on the right.

Step 6:  On party day cover your cake or cupcakes with icing then add your candy melt transfers to the top for a great custom made design.  Here are a few examples that I've done using this technique.







8 comments:

  1. I am amazed by how simple these are! How perfect they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you TB, my one & only blog commenter. They are super easy you should try to make them sometime. The bigger and simpler the design the easier it is to do the outlines. And after you do the fill just tap the cutting board on the counter to get out any bubbles that may have gotten on the design and they will turn out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm number two!

    I've been contemplating these all day, but I'm just not sure I have it in me... in terms of talent AND time.

    Any suggestions on where to find cupcake liners in yellow and green? They can be separate or have the colors together. Our daughter's Fwog and Duck party is coming up in a few weeks and I can find Easter ducks and Easter frogs, but nothing without eggs. Grr!

    Dropping in from Mama Blog.

    :+)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, thanks for coming over and posting. I appreciate it.

    As far as cupcake liners. I usually go for the aluminum foil ones. Because they don't clash with any theme and you can find them at any grocery store. But if you buy the special ones and use chocolate cake mix it sometimes messes the color up so that's just something to keep in mind. But if you really want colored ones I would look at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or a local cake decorating store. If you wanted to get them online I would check out wilton.com.

    Now for the ducks and frogs. I had a ducky baby shower years ago and there was little ducks over by the babyshower or cake decorating stuff so you might check there at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and see if they still have them. I can't think of anywhere I've seen frogs recently but I'll keep thinking about it and let you know if I come up with something.

    If you have some of the chocolate wafers around your house anyway I would just throw a couple in a ziploc and microwave it and try these out. They really arn't that hard and if you had the supplies anyway it I'd go for it and just see how they turn out. If you don't like the way they turn out they still taste really good for a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had another idea for your duck/frog party. I was going to do a blog about this in the future but don't have it ready yet. Just find some clipart that you like and print it on white cardstock paper. Then get a big punch probably 1 1/2 or a 2in it could be round, square or a round scalloped one. Then punch out your clip art. Tape/glue a toothpick on the back then glue another punch to the other side to cover the toothpick and then just stick them in your cupcake. See my post here http://partycrafting.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html and look at the animal cupcakes. I did square animal cutouts in that picutre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who would've thought that candy transfers could be done so easily?! Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this today and it was cute, but not as smooth as yours. How do you get it to look so smooth?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The back of mine are always bumpy but the reverse side (the image side) should be smooth because it is the side against the wax paper. You could have the bumpy side be the image side but then you have to be more careful when making the design to stay inside your outline instead of how I did it above by just flooding over the outlines. Hope that helps and thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...