Sunday, March 11, 2012

Sports Themed Birthday Cake

Am I the only one that has this problem...I find the most difficult thing in the world to make and I fall in love with it then I have to spend hours making it.  I recently did this to myself yet again.  My sons birthday was coming up and he wanted a sports themed party.  So I started googling and pinteresting and I found an awesome sports cake that was 3-tiers and had logos for a hockey team on top, a baseball team in the middle and a football team on the bottom.  Only problem was that it was made out of fondant.  I have only used fondant a few times and I've always bought it and only used it for accents on a buttercream icing cake.  My family doesn't really like the taste of fondant so I was a little leery doing a whole cake out of it but I found a marshmallow fondant recipe that I heard tastes better than the other kind, so I was going to try to do it.  I've talked myself out of doing it and back into making this cake over the last couple days but yesterday I finally decided to bite the bullet and just do it.  Last night I made the cake layers (used 3 cake mixes to make them) along with a few cupcakes from the extra batter.  I also made the fondant last night (Wilton recipe here) and wrapped it up and put in the fridge.  Then I got up bright and early this morning and was working on the cake I think by about 8am.  I made the buttercream icing and started icing & layering the cakes.  Then I got out the fondant, it was hard as a rock.  I had to spend quite a bit of time working it to get it soft and dividing it up and adding the different colors to each bit of fondant.  Then I rolled it out and put it on the cake smoothed it out (I don't really have any fondant tools so I did the best I could just using my hand).  I cut all the decorations and added them to the cake.  By this time it was about Noon and I was going to have family coming soon for lunch so even though I had 2 more sports teams logos to add I was done.  I told my son that's all I was going to be able to do and I think he was still happy with it.  I wish I would have had more time to work on it and get some things looking better and add those logos but for my first time making and using marshmallow fondant, I think it turned out really good.  (I found out that we still didn't really like the taste of fondant and neither did most of the kids at the party, but it made it look really good.)

1 comment:

  1. Well, even if it didn't taste good, it's beautiful! I would never have had the patience to make that. I didn't even know you could make your own fondant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...